NCAT Asphalt Content Furnace The NCAT asphalt content furnace accommodates larger sample testing, reducing labor and costs. It saves time and money by using an environmentally friendly, cost-effective ignition method to determine asphalt content. Ignition method replaces the costly and time consuming solvent extraction method by eliminating the cost of solvent and solvent disposal. Cost analysis has shown that the average asphalt producer can pay for the cost of the furnace in as little as 26-32 weeks based on solvent cost savings alone. Operating Features:
- Automatic Mode: endpoint is detected and software ends the test, prints the results and beeps until STOP is pressed to unlock door (in accordance with AMRL specifications)
- Manual Mode: endpoint is detected and furnace begins to beep but continues to test until STOP is pressed to unlock door, then results print
- Compensation is computed for each sample load tested
- Positive or negative correction factors are accepted for use with mixes containing hydrated lime
- Endpoint within 0.01% of the sample weight is automatically detected
- Sample stability is reached once endpoint criterion is met for three consecutive minutes during the test
- Endpoint sensitivity is adjustable from 0.01% to 0.5%
- Software computes test results as calibrated asphalt content per total weight of HMA sample or bitumen ratio per weight of dry aggregate
- 24-hour/7-day timer can be programmed to preheat furnace
- RS-232 port provides data interface with a PC for graphical data analysis
Savings / Convenience:
- Larger sample testing reduces total samples needed for testing each day, reducing labor and costs
- Ignition method reduces testing time when compared to solvent extraction: a 1200 to 1800g asphalt sample can be tested in 30 to 45 minutes
- Internal scale monitors sample weight throughout the process, saving technician time and increasing productivity, as samples need not be removed and weighed
- Standard 30A electrical service is used (50A service costs more to install and operate)
- Modular design of refractory embedded heating elements provides extended service life and inexpensive, easy replacement
- No exposure to harmful solvents
- Automatic door-lock prevents door opening during critical test time, protecting operator and ensuring integrity.
- High temperature afterburner is used with a patent ceramic filter to reduce ignition process emission by up to 95%
- Independent laboratory study, conducted with California Transportation Department in accordance with California EPA guidelines, showed emissions from the furnace during the ignition test were within EPA parameters
- A laboratory hygiene study, conducted in accordance with OSHA guidelines, proved the system poses no health threats during proper use.
Recommended Accessories: AY1087X1 accessory pack includes: 4 baskets, 2 trays, 2 covers, handle, cooling cage, insulated plate. Note: First time buyers will need the accessory pack.